Some guidelines when you suspect a child is experiencing sexual abuse:
- Keep calm. Never panic or overreact.
- Believe the child. Never doubt the child.
- Reassure the child. Never blame the child.
- Listen to and answer the child's questions honestly.
- Never pressure the child to talk or avoid talking about the abuse.
- Respect the child’s privacy. Never discuss the abuse in front of unnecessary people.
- Never confront the offender.
- Report the abuse immediately.
To Report Child Sexual Abuse
Call your local police, Child Protective Services, Child Advocacy Center, or Sexual Assault Crisis Center.
For the center closest to you, call:
The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
The National Child Abuse Hotline
The National Victim Center
In the greater Pittsburgh, PA area, call:
Pittsburgh Action Against Rape
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Center for Victims of Violent Crime
900 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Family Resources of Pittsburgh
South Highland Avenue